Sunday, July 12, 2009

July 11
I'm staying at the student dorm tonight. The place has really changed since I stayed here last time. I mean it's the same place and all just that there are a bunch of guys living here now. One thing is that the toilet is really dirty now. Haha, guys will be guys I guess. The group that stays here consists of about 8 guys who are studying in universities in Phnom Penh. They have been invited to stay at this dorm free of charge because they are Christians and because they have agreed to have some theological training on top of their regular school studies. The goal of this dorm is to produce strong Christians who have a practical job skills as well as enough training to become leaders and maybe pastors in their churches. In Cambodia a church that is able to support a full time pastor is rare so an overwhelming majority of pastors here are bi-vocational. Because the students at the dorm will be graduating with marketable skills that will give them a decent income they make perfect candidates for pastoral positions.

I'm looking forward to the next few days because it will be a little rougher living since I've been staying a pretty nice guesthouses so far. If you are trying to imagine the conditions, think dorm living with a little bit of rural village life thrown in. They do things here like wash their clothes by hand in the yard, which is more like a dirt courtyard. Other things to deal with are the mosquitoes and open-window “air-conditioning”. I am also looking forward to attending a Khmai service tomorrow. I need to sleep early so that I won't fall asleep during service.

Prayer Requests:
  • Still need to prep for Field Forum Youth Program
  • Making the most of the time I am spending with Khmai friends, encouraging them in their faith.
  • Giving the gospel to those I can when I meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment