Saturday, July 4, 2009

We'll see how long I last.

The remaining leg of the journey was uneventful. I made it to Phnom Penh on schedule and Bill, one of the the missionaries in Phnom Penh; Caitlin, an old friend we met at English Camp two years ago; and Phearum, the current director of the dorm ministries in Phnom Penh, were waiting to greet me outside the baggage claim area. A lot has changed in Phnom Penh since last year. The once muddy road to the new dorms where the Phnom Penh English Camp will be held this year is now paved over with a fresh layer of concrete. Lots of construction projects are starting up too, including a 43 story sky scraper. This is a big deal in Cambodia. Bill was also telling me that many of the guesthouses lining the streets were once brothels that got shut down by the government. Things seem to be looking up in the capitol.

The first interesting sighting of the trip was out on the road as we were driving through the city. It seemed that a moto had crashed and had caught on fire. As we drove past we could see that the owner was frantically trying to put out the flames by beating them down with papers but the fire only grew worse. It seemed like the gas tank could have gone up at any moment but we didn't stick around long enough to see what happened. I hope the only casualty of that incident was the moto.

It's almost 4:30 in the afternoon here and I'm starting to feel lethargic. I was able to get some rest on the plane but I think I still need some time to completely make the timezone switch. Tonight is dinner with the rest of the team that is here for the Phnom Penh English Camp, almost 20 other short termers, and then coffee and hang out at Bill and Ilana's place. We'll see how long I last.

Prayer Requests:
  • Quick adjustment to the time zone.
  • Good recall of the Khmai that I learned on previous trips. I'd like to have something to say to start conversations with the locals.
  • Boldness to talk to people I meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment